Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 14:46 +0000, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>  Editing
> GRUB is not for newbies so a 'push' upgrade like last few days
I seem to have missed this point - can you explain it for me?
>   renders
> them with unbootable windows, and only Linux, This is major point to
> teach newbies how to edit grub.
Now I don't know, but having several computrs on the go (including this
one with only Linux) I would be able to find out still.
> I always introduce Linux via a Live distro for this reason, they still
> have there old comfort win OS still active.
> PS rescuing a defunct windows system with Knoppix *really* makes converts!
It was a revelation to my friend Geoff (not on the list yet) how well
the different distros, (I started with Knoppix) diagnosed his problem
(memory fault - needed chip replacement) and he has jumped into using
Linux now.

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk