Re: [LUG] can't access tty; job control turned off

Steph Foster wrote:
> Simon Robert wrote:
>> I'm getting desperate on this one. I'm attempting to install linux, I've
>> tried several distros, on a novatech barebones box. That is everything
>> except hard drive and dvd/cd drive.
>>
>> I've plugged everything in and it all seems to work. I've set it to boot
>> from the cd drive first and the sata drive second.
>>
>> Cd's from magazines are ignored completely. *.iso disks it attempts to
>> use and then drops to the ash shell and comes up with the "can't access
>> tty; job control turned off" message.
>>
>> Strangely I have installed Vector Linux, but VL is not the distro I
>> want, so it could be the problem is connected with live disks. Zenwalk
>> gets as far as finishing partitioning before it crashes, (no message
>> just drops to a command line).
>>
>> Using an external DVD/CD drive live disks do load all the way, however
>> no ethernet/LAN device is detected and the graphics are way off in terms
>> of size/definition etc.
>>
>> Very annoyingly windows xp installs perfectly! No network, but that's
>> probably down to drivers?
>>
>> Any help gratefully received.
>>
>> Thanks
>>     Simon
>>
> Where abouts are you , geographically ?
>

> Steph

I'm in Mid Devon, near Tiverton, but would be willing to travel.

Actually I've had a bit of progress, though it's all rather weird. From
the external DVD/CD drive some live distros will install, though no
ethernet/sound. Graphics is just a matter of installing the nvidia driver.

 From the "internal" CD/DVD drive *.iso based distros will at least
start to install. Zenwalk for example will let me choose keyboard layout
and partition the disc. However when it trys to detect a CD with an
installable zenwalk on it it fails.

Very weirdly minimal distros, like Vector, will install from this drive.
PClinuxOS MiniMe (the new one) also installs as a live disc. It can see
the audio, but not the ethernet.

The big breakthrough is that the alternate ubuntu disk, i.e. the *.iso
non livecd version, does install and does see the LAN. It does not
however see the audio. I have downloaded the drivers from Realtek and
installed all the kernel headers, alsa apps and dev packages I think
could possibly be relevant, but no joy. The graphics are OK after
installing all the nvidia stuff.

I've even got ubuntu, with kaffeine installed, to recognise my DVB card.
However though it does a channel scan it isn't able to show anything as
it does not have suitable resources. There's no audio anyhow....

So that's how it currently stands. If I could mix all this stuff
together it'd be great. As it is I have a workable PC, but far from ideal.

All very strange....

Simon

--
Simon Robert