Re: [LUG] Open Source applications for Windows

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>

>> Does qemu have a windows version,  as march 08 issue of linux magazine
>> shows vista running puppy Linux.  That could be another option,
>>

> Yes it does although I wouldn't have room on the disc.  Not sure how the
> performance of QEmu compares to VMWare etc.
>

>> the list of developer related applications could be useful at a later
>> date,  perhaps as a separate cd
>>
>> we have the opendisc,  openeducationdisc,  how about a new project, open
>> developerdisc. ?
>>

> Possibly.
>
> Actually something that I would have found REALLY useful today is a Live
> CD (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS etc based) with just Firefox on it and
> Dansguardian.  Gemini are running a news story tomorrow about it being
> Internet Safety Week.  They interviewed me about kids and the risks on
> the internet.  Nearest thing I could find was an add-on for Firefox
> called Glubble (www.glubble.com) which blocked sites which weren't on a
> safe list.  It's not under an Open Source licence but it does promote
> Firefox, infact it says it requires it over IE and it's platform
> independent (well, it runs on Windows, MacOS X and Linux - it even has a
> tux icon on the web site!).
>
> Hopefully my interview (along with a follow up story online) will point
> users in the direction of Firefox.
>
> Now if there was a Live CD (I wasn't sure if Ubuntu Christian Edition
> was a LiveCD) which included DansGuardian (along with some sort of
> update script) which ran from the CD and didn't touch the hard drive
> (maybe offered some sort of saving favourites to an online service or
> USB pen drive) then I would have recommended it.
>
> IIRC I heard of something similar but it was a paid for service or
> something running on a Linux LiveCD which from what I could tell after a
> Google search, disappeared into obscurity.
>
> Rob

March 2008 ed of linux magazine has an article on  making your own Linux
distro
it may be worth seeing what can be created along these lines,   i had no
idea it was internet safety week btw.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug