Re: [LUG] Open Source applications for Windows

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Does qemu have a windows version,  as march 08 issue of linux magazine
> shows vista running puppy Linux.  That could be another option,

Yes it does although I wouldn't have room on the disc.  Not sure how the
performance of QEmu compares to VMWare etc.

> the list of developer related applications could be useful at a later
> date,  perhaps as a separate cd
>
> we have the opendisc,  openeducationdisc,  how about a new project, open
> developerdisc. ?

Possibly.

Actually something that I would have found REALLY useful today is a Live
CD (Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS etc based) with just Firefox on it and
Dansguardian.  Gemini are running a news story tomorrow about it being
Internet Safety Week.  They interviewed me about kids and the risks on
the internet.  Nearest thing I could find was an add-on for Firefox
called Glubble (www.glubble.com) which blocked sites which weren't on a
safe list.  It's not under an Open Source licence but it does promote
Firefox, infact it says it requires it over IE and it's platform
independent (well, it runs on Windows, MacOS X and Linux - it even has a
tux icon on the web site!).

Hopefully my interview (along with a follow up story online) will point
users in the direction of Firefox.

Now if there was a Live CD (I wasn't sure if Ubuntu Christian Edition
was a LiveCD) which included DansGuardian (along with some sort of
update script) which ran from the CD and didn't touch the hard drive
(maybe offered some sort of saving favourites to an online service or
USB pen drive) then I would have recommended it.

IIRC I heard of something similar but it was a paid for service or
something running on a Linux LiveCD which from what I could tell after a
Google search, disappeared into obscurity.

Rob