Re: [LUG] OT: Power Unit & PC World

On Feb 7, 2008 5:03 PM, Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PSU's are standard voltages/connectors. There's also a standard size,
> but these small boxes keep ignoring that and making their own. My server
> had that problem- I had to transplant the guts from a standard sized PSU
> into the small box to get it fit in the case.
>
> So long as the box isn't so old it uses AT, any PSU that fits should do.

There are 2 common types of PSU around ATM, the newer type is ATX12V
and has a 24 pin connector to the motherboard, the older type still
found has only a 20Pin connector. Just a little gotcha although the
ATX12V is dominating now around 12 months ago there was much confusion
here and catalogues etc did not state what they were selling very
well.

Be careful of the wattage specification as well. Try to put at least
the same wattage or larger as a replacement.

Robin