Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools redux.

On Thursday 07 February 2008 12:55, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:26:54 +0000
> Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Henry,
>
> > UK Govt Teaching requirements are in Key Stages:
> > eg Key Stage 3
> > http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/secondary/keystage3/aboutks3/strategygui
> >de/ Lots of pdf files
>
> Yes, but Tom's query was regarding the dissemination to teachers, not
> the curriculum itself.  Unless I've grossly misunderstood Tom's initial
> request.
I was in my pre-judiced (sic) way trying to find out just how inefficient they
could make it.
They've done an amazing job.
As a parent I would like to be able to see what they're meant to be teaching
my kids and its pretty much impossible to find out.
Surely they could have a web page with a course/stage matrix table with
clickable links to the course requirements (and all the specious metadata)
The course requirements should then be in small bite sized blocks of simple
HTML that a teacher or parent can then copy and expand on to create 'lessons'
and tests that could then be published (shared) on a WIKI (or similar) by
registered teachers and accessed by parents/carers.

I could then, after a few clicks find out what my kids are meant to be
learning rather than finding out how (if the teachers could even control the
kids) well meaning the whole thing is and how we go forward and all that
pathetic setting of boundaries etc is done.

Sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees - this time you cant see the
wood for the sawdust....
Tom te tom te tom