Re: [LUG] Asterisk install in Feb at PZ computers

On 23/01/08 18:46:53, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
> > Yea, i wan't to know a bit more too about *. recently i was talking
> > some telephone companies and said about * and they basically
> applied
> > there full ignorance and said its ****. But these same people said
> > that we *need* to upgrade our existing PABX system and their reason
> > was its old. I said but it works and i don't want to upgrade unless
> > get a cost saving. This went over there heads and they again told
> be
> > "but its old".
> >

> I had what sounded to me like good advice, which is to buy a couple
> of
>
> IP phones and try things out on the network segments etc involved.
>

> It isn't immediately clear to me whether I need to get two existing
> PABXs programmed to forward occasional calls along ordinary phone
> lines
> to each other, at minimal cost, or to buy a complete new installation
> for two buildings at ... not-minimal ... cost, or to save teh
> congestion
> on our lines and some call charges by eg plugging two of the little
> Linksys boxes in, one at each end, and having them forward calls
> between
> the boxes.
>

> Or build or have built an Asterisk setup.  Which looks moderately
> amusing and would fit with several of the above ideas.

If you have two offices with s phones at each end... then the term you
are looking for is trunking.

An * box at each location, say 5 extensions on 1 and 10 on the other,
all tied together.

A bit like network routes.
If you have worked in large organisations where they have those short
codes for other offices... or you can just allocate blocks of numbers
if you want.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\