Re: [LUG] Asterisk install in Feb at PZ computers

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Yea, i wan't to know a bit more too about *. recently i was talking to
> some telephone companies and said about * and they basically applied
> there full ignorance and said its ****. But these same people said
> that we *need* to upgrade our existing PABX system and their reason
> was its old. I said but it works and i don't want to upgrade unless i
> get a cost saving. This went over there heads and they again told be
> "but its old".

I had what sounded to me like good advice, which is to buy a couple of
IP phones and try things out on the network segments etc involved.

It isn't immediately clear to me whether I need to get two existing
PABXs programmed to forward occasional calls along ordinary phone lines
to each other, at minimal cost, or to buy a complete new installation
for two buildings at ... not-minimal ... cost, or to save teh congestion
on our lines and some call charges by eg plugging two of the little
Linksys boxes in, one at each end, and having them forward calls between
the boxes.

Or build or have built an Asterisk setup.  Which looks moderately
amusing and would fit with several of the above ideas.

So I'm reading and fiddling.