Re: [LUG] venture to supply training services was Photography: Gimp classes

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 19:39:17 +0000
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Adrian Midgley wrote:
> > Adrian Midgley wrote:
> >
> >> It occurs to me that there is a small business to be made out of
> >> providing classes in how to use the gimp to process digital
> >> photographs.
> >>

> > the gimp is improving, my photography probably is, and the idea
> > remains good.
> >
> > We should not forget it.
> >

> We need is a proper venue, (rob is working on this), so we can set up
> a set of Linux based pc's and teach skills using them,  once set up
> it could be used for a number of things such as this.  to achieve
> what is being proposed here would require a huge gamble by a number
> of people (lug members perhaps) to set up a business and offer
> training in this,
>
> at present there are no (or not that I know of), LPI exam centres,
> this side of bristol,  as well as lack of other training in OSS,  no
> RHCE exam / training centres etc (lets put aside our opinions on
> these exams),  i think if something could be set up,  at venues that
> can be accessed easily, then we could be onto something, as devon and
> cornwall seem to lack anything useful as it seems the rest of the
> country considers D & C somewhat too backward to be considered for
> anything, technical hence conferences, etc stop at bristol.
>
> this is my impression, so its probably wrong, but perhaps someone can
> prove me wrong by having even computer fairs (such as all formats),
> somewhere this side of bristol.
>
> I do feel however that there are people within the lug with all the
> skills required to get this done, business, management accounting,
> and of course the technical and perhaps teaching skills.  There are
> also people with less skills, but the willingness and keenness to
> help.
>
> With torbay getting money for businesses,  it seems an opportinity is
> available,  I am people Like red hat would be able to help us if we
> were to be providing training and a place for them to hold exams.
>
> Paul

I have forwarded this to myself at College and the next time I'm in I
will find someone to badger about running "other" courses (and how to
advertise them... something we need to talk about anyway).  I have
already printed out double-sided and nicely bound a copy of the
Instructor's Version of the Ubuntu Desktop course with a view to
putting it under a few people's noses there.

With Cornwall College actually being quite big, there may be (in the
long run... if this takes off) an opportunity for this to spread out to
our other campuses (campi? :D).

I fully agree that we need to do something, and that we need to pull
together and pool our resourcefullness - I know organisation is not my
strong point, but I'm happy to take on the role of "Teacher" if I
already understand the topic well enough myself.  I'm sure as a group
with a clear identity we could approach other organisations (such as
the College).

I will let you all know how I get on, and I'll keep you posted.

Grant.