Re: [LUG] Advertising (or lack of)

John Hansen wrote:
> I wonder whether a campaign of writing to the press and the radio and TV
> stations might give Linux more exposure at modest cost. Perhaps
> questioning the amount of money spent on MS software and associated
> licences.
>
> John
Of course the one thing advertising will ask is 'Who are your target
market?'

As Yoda might say 'Interest the gamers you must, market share you will
have!'

I'm not a great games player but as I understand it the one thing
hardcore gamers want is a high frame rate.  I know it's a bit long in
the tooth now, but I'd like to compare Unreal Tournament 2003 played
natively in Linux v the same game in Windows.  Willing to bet Linux
would trounce it.  I'm sure there are more current games that could be
used as a benchmark.  Maybe run a gaming competition where the prize is
a Linux pre-installed PC?  Covered by the radio station who at the same
time can point out the other advantages of Linux.

Alternatively take a volunteer and get the station to follow them on
their conversion from Windows to Linux, and demonstrate to the masses
that it is not as scary or onerous as they may think.  Wouldn't hurt if
the LUG were involved in the process either :)  'My Linux Diary' sort of
thing.

Kind regards,

Julian