Re: [LUG] Advertising (or lack of)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:39:44 +0000
David Bell <grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can anyone make a guess as to why the big players in GNU/Linux/OSS, especially
> Cononical and Sun don't advertise widely, if at all.  Is it only the geeks
> who want to topple MS off its pedestal?

1. Money - who do you think pays for the wages of all those
footballers and Hollywood-has-beens? Ads are incredibly expensive,
especially for a prime-time blitz on lots of channels / media. M$ have
plenty, let them spend it.

2. Lack of preinstalled boxes for sale in mass market outlets. Lack of
free software for webcams, wireless cards and other bespoke gadgets ...
but then all those "unique-selling-points" are just pointless
marketing. Needs a change of attitude from the manufacturers.

3. Canonical, Sun, HP, RedHat and others do push their names during
exhibitions and conference and stuff.

More hardware manufacturers need to publish their source code, not just
make proprietary binaries for the Linux kernel. That way, we all get
stable, free, code for all devices instead of a proprietary mess where
the same device name has a different chipset in February to March and
the same chipset appears under a random assortment of names.

Most of the work needs to be within the scope of the hardware
manufacturers and the hardware packagers - *not* the retailers or the
ad agencies.

--

Neil Williams