Re: [LUG] Advertising (or lack of)

Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> Ads on TV are the only real way of affecting the masses - why else
>> would the fees be so high?
>>
> Radio?  I think a large proportion of people also listen to the radio at
> least on a daily basis.  I know I do in the car.  BBC notwithstanding
> commercial radio stations also need advertisers to stay afloat, and
> they're cheaper than TV.  Hell half the time I can tell it's one of the
> DJs reading the advert, so it's not like they spent the earth on casting :)
>
> BTW I spend about 4.5 hours a week in the car, and *maybe* slightly more
> watching TV.  In my case, and maybe others, advertising budgets would go
> further with radio.
>
> http://www.myadbase.com/cgi-bin/guide.cgi?page=radio_advertising

I'd agree with that, I do a lot of driving for my job (I do around
20,000 miles a year just driving around the South West area!).  A lot of
my time is spent listening to the local radio stations I work for and
after a while those ad's just stick in your head.  A couple that come to
mind are the Trago Mill's adverts (using the theme music from Vision
On), the Yellow Pages adverts and maybe Apple Conservatories (it seems I
need an Apple Conservatory, god knows where I'd put one!)

The only advert I can remember from TV is the sponsorship for that bed
company who sponsor Corrie.

> £25-£50 a second doesn't sound too onerous to me.  Granted you have to
> create the advert first of all, but the cost associated with that would
> be much lower too.
>
> http://www.myadbase.com/cgi-bin/guide.cgi?page=advertising_radio_station
>
> 'For around £1500 you should get a one or two week campaign of three or
> four 20-30 second slots per day. You can probably negotiate a deal for
> the production of the audio too and most radio station have numerous
> contacts in this department.'

A few radio stations (like Gemini FM for instance) have their own
advertising production team in house who write the scripts, get the
advert voiced and they produce it all themselves.

There is always room for negotiation too especially with things like
sponsorship and promotions.

Doesn't help though that Microsoft recently took out a £100,000 ad
campaign to appear on the web site of a group of popular radio stations.

 From experience, one thing radio stations (or the ones I work at) love
are sponsorship deals where they can maybe get paid to give something
away (which is provided to them for free).  This reminds of of the Fruit
Shoot promo they're doing at the moment where the Thunder staff who
drive around the areas give away bottles of Fruit Shoot for free.

Rob

Rob