[LUG] OT Re: Driving and gender (was: Why are there so few women in our LUG)

--- Clare Shepherd <clareeshepherd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> That may well be true, but your last sentence is
> absolutely correct.
> Isn't one of the factors [...]

I was not proposing that the statistics really
indicate men are better drivers (although personally I
thinks they are). I just wanted to point out that the
theory that lower insurance premiums automatically
indicate superior driving is not right.

> Wasn't there
> some study that said men seem to be either very good
> or very bad
> drivers, whilst women tend to be more in the middle
> of the spectrum.
> Maybe my memory is playing me tricks?

I haven't seen that research, but I wonder if you're
thinking of the research done on IQ by Eysenck which
showed higher deviation for male IQs very much like
what you're suggesting in relation to driving. I don't
know the details but someone who does know about this
sort of thing told me recently that research is pretty
much discredited now (and he's the kind of guy who's
usually right).

Of course my personal favourite is the paper by
Jackson & Rushton which showed a male IQ advantage of
3.63 points - scientific proof that men are smarter
than women!

Statistics . . . fun for all the family.