Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

Quoting Clare Shepherd <clareeshepherd@xxxxxxx>:

> I think that it's partly our fault, in that women often, but not
> always and maybe less so with younger women, see an all male enclave
> of IT people, bikers, golfers or whatever, as slightly threatening,
> intimidating etc. I think this is a trait that is improving, in that
> men are more used to having women included and we are getting used to
> it too.

<snip>

I find it interesting that this discussion has come up.  We're getting
a trainee broadcast engineer where I work, I was pleasantly surprised
to find out that the applicant who was offered the job was a young (I
think) lady from up north.  IIRC we only have one other female
broadcast engineer in the entire company but two girls on the Helpdesk.

Could it be worth some of the women in IT (or professions that have
typically been male dominated - plumbing, building etc) going to
secondary schools and giving talks and maybe encouraging more women
into these male dominated professions?

Throughout my 12 years working in IT only a couple of the places I've
worked at have had women working in IT roles, and the majority of them
have been Helpdesk type roles.

Rob