Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On 17 Jan 2008, at 20:23, stinga wrote:

> On 17/01/08 18:49:10, Clare Shepherd wrote:
>>

>> I don't post often, but since there are so few of us females, I
>> couldn't let Stinga's sweeping generalisations go unanswered. I've
>> always enjoyed his posts, but maybe his post exemplifies why there
>> aren't more women using Linux, attending meetings or bothering with
>> Open Office. I don't think I've read such ageist, misogynist tripe
>> since the 60s. There maybe may be a grain of truth in that women
>> aren't interested in the minutiae of what processor,  how many cores
>> etc. a particular pc or laptop may have. They just want to do stuff.
>> But the analogy with cars is fatuous, I've driven all sorts of
>> vehicles (including buses, 850cc motorcycles vans and several
>> Jaguars, BMWs & Mercs) and driven for a living for a while, while
>> studying for my accountancy exams, so don't give me (daughter of a
>> mum who drove 8 wheel ambulances in the WAAF during the war) that
>> women aren't interested in motors. It's just that guys have this way
>> of excluding women and keeping the good stuff to themselves. Reading
>> this sort of guff isn't going to encourage us either.
>> Stinga said "Bottom line is 'I don't know'!", well you got that
>> right.
>>
>>> and actually why would they, you only get 15 years and that's
>>> it, to old to work after late 30's, everyone knows people older
>> than
>>> late 30's their brains turn to mush... look at managers :-)
>>

>> As an accounts manager of 25 years standing and now a 61 year old
>> retiree,  I feel you've now hit the jackpot. Are you really trying to
>>
>> alienate your whole audience? Today, I read some emails over
>> breakfast, read a bit of my online readers' Group read , "War and
>> Peace", drove to the Acorn Centre, played badminton for two hours,
>> came home had lunch, read over some notes for my Geology meeting on
>> Saturday, practised my bassoon for 45 minutes, went to the Library's
>> readers group and shared in a discussion of Hemingway's "Old Man and
>> the Sea"- not bad for a mush-minded old biddy. What did you today?
>>
>> Glad to have got this off my chest. Rant over. I'm sorry to have been
>>
>> so angry, but I am very disappointed that this is the level of
>> discussion here. I expected a more intelligent approach from the
>> membership to Viv's post
>> In sorrow,
>> Clare
>>

> Sorry Clare, that it did not across as I wanted it to and I don't
> think
> I can put across in email.
>
> It wasn't meant to be ageist/sexist or anything 'ist'.
>
> My sincere apologies to you Clare and anyone else it offended, it
> wasn't meant to.
>
> I thought I had covered my behind  with the 'sweeping statement'
> comment, it was all gross generalisations, but I thought we were
> talking about generalizations, there are always exceptions and those
> people are already using Linux, racing cars, sewing whatever.

> [...]

Apology accepted Stinga, I understand completely that it's so easy to
fire of an email and repent at leisure. Forget it. I was surprised,
and if I'm honest a bit cross, but let's forget it. i never did think
it was a malicious post, just not up to your usual standard. If I
overreacted, I'm sorry too.
Regards,
Clare