Re: [LUG] [Bulk] printer recomendation needed

Simon Williams wrote:
> Dave Morgan wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:43:13 +0000, Simon Avery
>> <flash@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> viv wrote:
>>>
>>> Lexmark: Avoid. cheap, nasty and notoriously unfriendly to linux.
>>> Seriously, walk past them quickly in the shops, don't even look at them.
>> I have read that in a coupes of places now ... will avoid
>
> That reminds me of one of the many reasons I was told to avoid them.
> They aren't just unfriendly to Linux- they are unfriendly to windows as
> well! My friend had one with his WinME computer (bought by his parents,
> in his defence), who being slightly sane upgraded to XP at the first
> opportunity, only to find that Lexmark were not (and still do not to
> this day I think) making or even planning to make XP drivers for it.

I once on a station platform met a lady who was something along the
lines of south west manager for printers r us or a similar type company.
her opinion on lexmark was that they give their printers away at below
cost price to tie people in to the industries most expensive cartridges.

For linux HP are pretty good, but I've recently discovered that Brother
appear to support every printer they've ever produced with a
comprehesive range of linux drivers. This includes multiple function
machines, ie printer, fax, scanner devices.

So go brother would be my advice for what it's worth.
--
Simon Robert
www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk