Re: [LUG] [Bulk] printer recomendation needed

viv wrote:

Lexmark: Avoid. cheap, nasty and notoriously unfriendly to linux.
Seriously, walk past them quickly in the shops, don't even look at them.

HP are usually good. (Some historical issues like ink that "expires" by
date, but generally good. Linux support very good.)

Epson; Linux support often ok, but check particular model. Actual
printer quality variable.

Brother; They do a cheap network inkjet that's actually very good, got
one here. Linux support great.

When buying a printer for linux, ALWAYS google the model number for
linux support details. linuxprinting.org is a good resource.

Cups has made huge increases in linux friendliness, very impressive.
Supports a *lot* of stuff right out of the box. Finding network paths
can sometimes be tricky but again, google is your friend.

I loathe printers by the way. I loathe the whole market model that
encourages cheap products underpinned by phenominally expensive ink
(something like four times as expensive as gold, weight for weight) and
entire designs that encourage failure. I dislike that the HP Deskjet
which was *perfect* when it was launched has been progressively
redesigned to lose reliability and quality on every revision until a
once trusted brand is now shunned by those who have to look after the
sodding things.

Good printers:
HP Deskjet, first generation inkjet.
Epson FX-80, dot matrix.
HP Laserjet 4, size and cost of a car.

Each one of these has served me faithfully for many many years with low
running costs and utmost reliability.

Everything else is crap, ime...