Re: [LUG] Computer Active Linux Special

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:11:18 +0000
Paul Sutton wrote:

> james kilty wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 11:33 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >

> >> "These products are licensed for personal use on only one PC at a time.
> >> You may not rent or lease or resell products contained on this CD or use
> >> them for public performance."
> >>
> > My guess is that it is a standard message from the parent company that
> > also deals with Windows mags - there are other messages which point to
> > the same magazine compiling error - blanket ads for example. Perhaps a
> > quiet word with them would sort it out.
> >
> I agree I have seen this before, it seems to be the usual standard
> copyright notice,  However surely the cd would have the GPL and other
> licences which would contradict,  The same seems to happen when they
> give away  openoffice.org or other free software on cover cd's along
> with non free software,  it ends up being covered under the same
> copyright notice, even though openoffice.org is free software.
>
> Paul

This is true, and although what I'm about to say doesn't make what they've done
"right", it is something that should still be kept in the back of one's mind (to
some extent)...

How many of Computer Active's readerbase will actually bother to read the
small-print on the back of their covermounted CD/DVD?  It is something of interest
to us, but the ****vast**** majority of people who get this magazine won't even
bother to have read it.

Personally I think they'd do better to have a generic notice that's along the lines
of "Each piece of software on this disc will have its own licence, terms &
conditions and aggreements notices." followed by some generic disclaimer about not
being able to guarantee the suitability of the software, that backups should be
taken prior to installing any new software.

Cheers.
Grant.