[LUG] Asus eee pc 701 - Review

I've had my eee for a few days now and have begun to explore all of its
features and so have decided to write a short review of my findings.

Power -
It turns on incredibly fast.  And it powers down even faster.  Great for
on the move.  Especially since my PC at work running XP takes at least
5 minutes to boot.  The eee takes more like 10 seconds at the most.
It comes with one battery pack.  I haven't yet checked the price and
availability of spares, but the fact its a detachable battery and not
inbuilt looks promising.  The power cable comes with and attached velcro
band for easy tidying.  Great design feature.

Wifi-
The wifi capability is easy to configure.  But I did notice that it sets
connection of wifi networks to 'manual' by default.  Which means if you
power down and back up again, it won't be connected.  Worse, it lets you
configure this connection again, making you think it didn't save.  The
problem seems to be that there are two wifi tools, one for adding a new
network, and the another for connecting to existing networks.  Once I
worked that out however, I set my home wifi network to 'On Boot' instead
of 'Manual'.  Now it connects automatically without problems.

Network-
Connecting to network shared drives was painless and took no
configuration once the wifi was enabled.  Even to windows shares.

Internet-
Web access is via Firefox, have had no problem with it.  Messenging uses
pidgin.  I'm not sure if thats a new development because an earlier
review I read said it used kopete.  Given the eee has a built in webcam,
I'm surprised pidgin doesn't seem to support it.  You'd think they'd
provide a messenger that can actually use the hardware!  Unless its me
and I haven't worked out how to activate it.  Possible because I've
never used a webcam before.  I haven't tested Skype or the other
internet apps yet.  I think a lot of them are just links to web pages
anyway.

Work-
Oddly they've put the offline Mail prog (Thunderbird) in the 'Work'
folder rather than internet.  Other than this they have quick links to
Open Office word processor, spreadsheet and 'presentations', a pdf
reader (Adobe Reader), a file manager (by Xandros), a dictionary (which
in addition to English definitions also gives translations to Chinese.
Handy if you can actually read Chinese I suppose! An accessories
subfolder contains a calculator, a PID and Screen Capture.  Not sure why
they need to be in a subfolder.

Learn-
There seems to be some educational programs/games for kids/students.  A
periodic table, a planetarium (kstars), a typing tutor, a
letter/spelling game, a hangman game, some maths games and tutorials, a
couple of paint programs (but no GIMP), and a link to an online learning
website, http://www.skoool.ie

Play-
Here we have games, including TuxRacer which plays very smooth, a sudoku
game, the obligatory tetris clone and solitaire and a couple of others.
  We also have a media player (smplayer) which seems to work well so far
although I've only looked at a wmv file so far.  A music manager
(amarok), which I've been impressed with so far, to the extent I might
get this for my desktop pc! A photo manager (gwenview), which I am again
very impressed by.  Makes me think I've been missing out on some great
linux software through lack of contact with other linux users.  A webcam
program allows you to view and capture stills and video via the webcam.
  And a sound recorder allows you to record, although I'm assuming you'd
need to actually connect a mike to use that.

Settings-
I'm a bit disappointed with the customisation.  There are basically four
coloured themes, all of them quite bright.  You'd think on a laptop with
a battery life of only a few hours that an energy saving light on dark
colour scheme should be available.  Apparently not.  An anti-virus
program is also available here, as is configuration for printers and
other stuff, like voice commands.

Overall-
The small keyboard works well for me because my hands are small, but I'm
not sure how much you want to use it if you have bigger hands.  I mainly
got mine to use on train journeys, so I won't be sitting at it for hours
on end.  A nice feature is that a special 'fn' key turns the F keys into
short cuts for raising/lowering the brightness/volume, mute/unmute,
turning the wifi on/off etc.  I'm really pleased with my purchase and
feel it will meet my needs for a more than reasonable price.

Other things of note-
Not surprisingly this toy has had a strong appeal amongst other techie
types, such as programmer colleagues and IT staff.  However, the big
reaction I've had has been interest from women.  Including my mum.
Words like 'cute' and phrases like 'I want one even though I'm not sure
I'd use it' get bandied about.  And everyone is stunned when I tell them
the price... :)