[LUG] Epson DX4450 printer on Fedora 7

Hi,

I've never set up a printer on Linux and am running into difficulties
with an Epson DX4450 on Fedora 7.

The printer is identified as a DX4400 (apparently the same for all
intents and purposes) in the Printers dialogue.

I've installed non-Epson ink cartridges as recommended in the computer
shop, but the ink LED kept flashing.  I thought a nozzle clean or some
such was in order so I tried to use escputil:

escputil -r /dev/usb/lp0 -c -u

but any command to /dev/usb/lp0 returns "Device or resource busy".

The ink cartridges all seem to have ink coming out and to be seated
correctly, but then I've never set up an inkjet before.  Does anyone
know of any obvious pitfalls - or why escputil fails?

Thanks,
Ralph