Re: [LUG] TV Licensing

On Monday 12 November 2007 11:18, Steph Foster wrote:
> Don't get me started on TV Licencing !
>
> I am one of the apparently few people in this country that don't watch
> TV but I kept getting threatening emails from TV Licencing saying I
> would be visited and questioned under caution re PACE 1984
>
> In the end I rang the TV Licencing people , spoke to a supervisor and
> put a verbal rocket up his ass !
>
> I told them that I considered their letters to constitute harassment and
> that if I received any further letters, having duly notified them of my
> not having a TV, I would take legal action.
>
> It has been blissfully peaceful since then, not even a visit from a
> licence inspector to verify my assertion of not having a tv.
>
> Btw, are people aware that TV licence inspectors only have an implied
> right of entry to your home ?
>
> You can lawfully refuse them entry and make them return with a lawfully
> executed search warrant.
>
> Sorry for the rant but I hate jumped-up snotty little oiks that think
> they can push people around :-)
I went without a TV for about four years. I did enjoy their visits - I'd let
them in to part of the house, hold them almost prisoner while asking them
about their rights, and then send them away again after sympathising with
them over what a shitty job they had and normally managed to make them feel
nearly suicidal about the futility of life in general and not just their job.
They never bothered to get a warrant but I did live just across the road from
where the TV vans hold up so I guess they were caught in some Kafkaesque
beaurocracy where they new I didn't have a telly but had to come and visit.
Tom te tom te tom