Re: [LUG] IDEs was OT: Computer Science at Exeter Uni

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:06:56 +0000
Dave Berkeley <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree that M$ Visual Studio is good. It is their best product (I can't think
> of anything else of theirs that I rate). However, these days I tend to either
> be using Python, with vim and print / log to debug, or doing embedded C/C++
> work on eg. ARM targets.

Sounds like you should be interested in http://www.emdebian.org/

I'm cross-building a Debian based system for ARM - current set of
packages can give a root filesystem about 15Mb download, 27Mb
installed. Continuing to drive that downwards but for a 'genuine'
Debian glibc system (without perl), that's not bad.

(Ironic, emdebian-tools is written in perl - mostly - yet seeks to
remove perl from the system built by the tools.)

As for IDE's:

C/C++ : Anjuta
Perl  : geany
HTML  : vim
XML   : gedit

I've tried conglomerate but I really don't like the UI. Gedit simply
isn't good enough for perl (no symbol lookup is the biggest problem)
and there isn't an HTML editor on any system anywhere that competes
with vim.

So on my desktop, I have two workspaces currently, geany,
gnome-terminal, epiphany-browser, sylpheed and glipper on one.
gnome-terminal, glipper and geany on another.

Anjuta2 is very very good for C and C++. Integrated devhelp is good,
the subversion plugin is new and works well, object browsers,
simple bookmark navigation, integral terminal, extensible and a sane
editor.

--

Neil Williams