Re: [LUG] IDEs was OT: Computer Science at Exeter Uni

Dave Berkeley wrote:

> I'd be interested to know what people study at University these days.
> I've always preferred working with Physics or Electronics people, as
> Comp Sci seems to put funny ideas into people's heads in this
> country. I've worked with a few great Comp Scis from the US, but the
> best people I've worked with here have almost all been Physicists,
> and none of them CompScis.

When I did my CompSci degree most of the course was fairly low-level
theory stuff -- there was very little coding at all.  We were learning
things like graph theory, principles of database design, lamda calculus,
formal language theory, compiler design, microprocessor design,
(implementation of) computer graphics, robotics and suchlike.  The
coding we did was in Pascal, C, Fortran, C++ (which we had to learn from
Stroustrup's book because it was the only one in existence), ML and
LISP.  Oh, and APL, which was just plain weird.  It was all UNIX-based,
too.  But that  was twenty years ago, and at Warwick Uni, which
certainly had a reputation for having a fairly "hard science" approach
at the time.

Given that some of the above just isn't relevant today (microprocessor
design is probably a degree in itself, and almost no-one implements
framebuffer graphics from the ground up) and a good deal of everyday
stuff now didn't even exist then, I imagine a more recent degree
is a rather different cauldron of piranahs.  I wonder how many people
these days have even heard of lex and yacc (or flex and bison if you
prefer), let alone know what they do or understand how to use them.

I imagine it's the same for pretty much all CompSci graduates -- what
they learn will very much reflect where and when they took their degree.

James