Re: [LUG] OT: VMS 30 today

On 7 Nov 2007, at 18:20, Simon Waters wrote:

> Experience here similar, I use to do a lot of Unix admin work for
> desktop Unix. Solaris and HP-UX mainly. Towards the end the IBM PCs
> were
> reaching the point where they could compete in terms of computing
> power
> and graphics capabilities, and the pricing of the Unix kit meant that
> they priced themselves out of that market. Replacement was more often
> Windows rather than Linux in my experience, not least a lot of folks
> were doing work that required decent graphics cards, and at the time
> Linux graphics driver support wasn't that great.
>
> Prior to that a lot of the high end CAD packages use to be written to
> support a small range of graphics cards (because things like OpenGL
> didn't exist, or weren't up to the job), so you had to buy a SUN,
> or an
> HP, or SGI workstation, and it had to have specific cards to work
> effectively.
>
> That said the quality on some of the Unix workstation kit was
> extremely
> good, and there are still people using them, but it is pretty small
> numbers.
>
> Whilst Clare says she'd pay for quality, when push came to shove,
> almost
> all businesses couldn't justify the quality being offered. Also there
> was a lot of convergence in hardware, towards the end apart from a few
> novel processors (PA-Risc and Ultra-Sparc) the components were
> often off
> the shelf PC components, as they represented best value for money.
>
> Arguably Apple won the make bespoke Unix desktop hardware battle, by
> switching to Unix when everyone else seemed to have all but given
> up the
> fight.

I realise I'm in the minority but I like the idea of stuff that just
goes on working, but I want it both ways, I want it upgradeable.
Perhaps you just have to settle for buy, use for 3 or 4 years and
upgrade. However, I know of a guy who runs a HP-UX machine that's 9
years old and has never been rebooted.
Clare