Re: [LUG] OT: VMS 30 today

Quoting Clare Shepherd <clareeshepherd@xxxxxxx>:

> On 7 Nov 2007, at 18:20, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> Experience here similar, I use to do a lot of Unix admin work for
>> desktop Unix. Solaris and HP-UX mainly. Towards the end the IBM PCs
>> were
>> reaching the point where they could compete in terms of computing
>> power
>> and graphics capabilities, and the pricing of the Unix kit meant that
>> they priced themselves out of that market. Replacement was more often
>> Windows rather than Linux in my experience, not least a lot of folks
>> were doing work that required decent graphics cards, and at the time
>> Linux graphics driver support wasn't that great.
>>
>> Prior to that a lot of the high end CAD packages use to be written to
>> support a small range of graphics cards (because things like OpenGL
>> didn't exist, or weren't up to the job), so you had to buy a SUN,
>> or an
>> HP, or SGI workstation, and it had to have specific cards to work
>> effectively.
>>
>> That said the quality on some of the Unix workstation kit was
>> extremely
>> good, and there are still people using them, but it is pretty small
>> numbers.
>>
>> Whilst Clare says she'd pay for quality, when push came to shove,
>> almost
>> all businesses couldn't justify the quality being offered. Also there
>> was a lot of convergence in hardware, towards the end apart from a few
>> novel processors (PA-Risc and Ultra-Sparc) the components were
>> often off
>> the shelf PC components, as they represented best value for money.
>>
>> Arguably Apple won the make bespoke Unix desktop hardware battle, by
>> switching to Unix when everyone else seemed to have all but given
>> up the
>> fight.
>>
> I realise I'm in the minority but I like the idea of stuff that just
> goes on working, but I want it both ways, I want it upgradeable.
> Perhaps you just have to settle for buy, use for 3 or 4 years and
> upgrade. However, I know of a guy who runs a HP-UX machine that's 9
> years old and has never been rebooted.
> Clare

I think I get what you mean, apart from a motherboard failure on my
PC, it seems to be okay now running 24x7.  I suppose it depends on the
components and build quality.  For example, I have a Dell Optiplex
GX110 running at work as a fax server/apache server/general Linux box.
  It just works.  It's about 7 years old and it keeps going, where as
my Dell Optiplex GX620 desktop is awful.  It crashes every so often
and sometimes won't reboot.  It's less than a year old!

Rob