Re: [LUG] OT: Health & Safety (Was Re: F.A.S.T.)

Julian Hall wrote:
> Brad Rogers wrote:
>
>> Odd indeed.  A mate of mine had an ear infection at the time his
>> employer introduced headsets.  He refused to wear one until such time
>> as the infection cleared up.  He was nearly given his marching orders.
>> Most bizarre.
>>

> Oh well.. that's *one* thing my old employer seems to have done right.
> Every couple of months we were issued with new foam inserts for our
> headsets to prevent things like ear infections.  I'd have thought your
> mate could have quit and claimed constructive dismissal due to the quite
> clearly idiotic behaviour of his employer being detrimental to his
> health - just a thought.
>
>> Even stranger, to me at least, is the fact that there is no requirement
>> to clean _pupils_ toilets in schools.  Staff toilets are covered by
>> relevant legislation, but not pupils.
>>
> Now that IS weird since the schools all have a duty of care to the
> pupils whilst on their premises.  Admittedly it's Health & Safety *At
> Work* and technically it's not the pupils' place of work... however
> there is bound to be some piece of legislation they can be nobbled on.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Duty of care to the pupils yes, towards staff I think not,  esp as
teachers and staff face the following

physical assault
verbal abuse
false accusations of anything
humiliation and degrading treatment

all of which would lead to prosecution in the real world,   and if a
child is subjected to any of that would lead to staff member being
diciplined.

crazy world we live in,

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
11th November. Penzance Computers meet
Lostwithel meeting part 2, - watch this space.
details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug