Re: [LUG] Linux in business

On Nov 5, 2007 12:43 PM, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 12:14 +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
> > The other thing is Business link have a large reach to most SME
> > businesses and there role is provide information to the SME community,
> > they often run seminars that are free to attend so I  think trying to
> > get in communications with some of the local area PBAs and saying you
> > want to run a seminar/series of seminars would be a *very* good move.
> I am daydreaming about it. I personally have no credentials for this.
> Do we have the membership to offer a seminar, perhaps 2 or 3 speakers on
> different aspects of migration/adoption. Plus demo or promises of demos.

Well thats where great ideas start :-)

If we can find the speakers, put a proposal together there are people
who can help us put on a seminar. It needs someone (eg one of us) to
take the steps to organize things and keep the disorganized rabble
(such as myself) together.

Its well worth batting ideas around here though as well

> > Yea as long as you highlight possible benefits and empower them to
> > make a rational and informed decision you have done your job :-)
> > getting a server to linux is probably a good start and using OOo and
> > Gimp etc are also a great transition too. This is the route i have
> > followed,
> The guy I talked about uses a dedicated Linux firewall.

A good use, lots of clever things can be done there, including content
monitoring, logging, virus scanning, remote access possibilities,
Intrusion detection monitoring and probably loads more i can't even
think off.

> > One of our ties is a classic lock in situation where out
> > data files can ONLY be read by one program that is protected with a
> > dongle that is no longer available and not supported, if the dongle
> > goes wrong we are screwed.
> Are you able to mention the programme? Can the process be reverse
> engineered?

Yea the program is Boardmaker 2, according to the manufactures it DOES
not run on XP. But that just because it uses direct port access to
talk to the hardware and so you need to set a permission map first.

There are GPL'd versions of software that do the same thing. Not sure
how good they are as i have never had time to evaluate but i know
nothing else can read BM2 files and we need the old files and it will
take way too long and be error prone to hand convert. Oh there is a
BM3 but you can't buy it last time i looked only rent it.

Robin