Re: [LUG] Linux in business - polemic warning.

One of the problems I find with computing in business is the stupidity of the
'office' approach.
We have taken something (the PC and modern software) that is capable of
managing  interstellar travel and we use it to design horse saddles!
Most of the problems I encountered in my last few years at the coal face were
trying to alleviate the problems of giving everyone an 'office' and then at a
much later date trying to implement all the other thing that should have been
there from the start - erp type systems.
Its easy to take the M$ approach and sell people lots of copies of office for
people to hide their data in but if we really want to help people we must
make it clear to them that if they really want to take advantage of computing
they have to actually organise their data and business. They can do it early
on in the process or they can try later - and almost certainly fail.
M$ have made billions out of selling people a pup, please dont sell that pup
to others just because its free.
Tom te tom te tom