Re: [LUG] re ISP's - FYI

Benjamin A'Lee wrote:
> But an acceptable use policy is a limit. If there's an acceptable use policy,
> it's not unlimited so they shouldn't be claiming it is.
I ran our AUP team for a while [1] and the majority of our work was
originally nothing to do with bandwidth in the sense being discussed
here.  We did close accounts of abusers who would dump a single porn AVI
on their webspace and then spam it to newsgroups creating sometimes over
1Gb of traffic per day, but we were not concerned with bandwidth of
legitimate paying customers.  In that case we were more concerned with
the 'stolen' bandwidth crippling the web server so that the websites of
legitimate users ran very slowly, again protecting legitimate users.
The bulk of the work was dealing with spammers, hackers, etc.  'Acts' of
abuse rather than volume if I can use that distinction.  A properly
defined and administered AUP in my view has every right to be there.  It
is not limiting legitimate users in any way, rather it is protecting
them from the abuses of other users, spamming, threats, libel, hacking,
criminal activity, and the somewhat woolly catch-all 'may not use this
account to annoy other users' [and THAT needs a good team to ensure it
is administered properly] etc.

The limits being discussed here target *all* users, legitimate and
otherwise.

Having said all that, the bandwidth cap that eventually did come was
placed in the AUP.  Simply because it was deemed 'an unacceptable use of
the service to download too much'.  I didn't and still do not see AUP as
having any business dealing with user bandwidth other than deliberate
abuses as mentioned above.  It should be plainly stated in the Terms and
Conditions, not hidden away in a sub-clause such as the AUP.

Unlimited is probably a thinly disguised 'we don't have anything in our
Ts & Cs about it' which is not even close to the same thing.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] Technically I set it up since before I took over the 'team' was one
bloke who left.