Re: [LUG] running windows programs in Linux

On Friday 13 July 2007 20:50, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > The solution that is gaining the most positive reaction would appear to
> > be VM. I know, it is resource hungry and it pushes people back into the
> > hardware upgrade cycle again but it does give these programs a usable
> > foundation that would not be available otherwise.
>
> You can use programs like nlite to ease the resource hunger, and if
> hard drive space is short and you want to dual boot, it is possible to
> use the same copy of windows natively and in vmware (though not at the
> same time).

Ah ha Michael!
I'm just looking to run a virtual machine for windows and when I started I
presumed (stupid I know) that I would be able to run the windows installed on
my dual boot computer in a vmware (or Qemu or virtual box) setup.  But, come
the crunch, every howto that I've found says install your VM and then install
a copy of windows in a virtual partition.

I assume that a native copy of windows is one that you can run separate to
Linux.  So where is the info?  If you could give me a pointer I would be
forever in your debt.  (That means I will never pay you anything. Isn't
English strange?)

George