Re: [LUG] No postings for the last couple of days

Simon Waters wrote:
> Ironically Tiscali has recently deployed a system like OpenDNS that
> catches DNS requests for non-existent domains, and lies about the
> answer. This is probably the source of the DNS problems you experienced.
> Details were posted on the NANOG mailing list.
>
> Please do vote with your feet, and/or protest loudly about such things
> (UKFSN are also guilty here I believe, although I use my own DNS
> recursive resolver - which gives the correct answer for any query).
>
> "None such" is a perfectly valid answer for the DNS, and shouldn't be
> seen as an opportunity to make cash by ISPs.
>
> It is also likely that the wide deployment of such technologies will
> give ISPs a financial disincentive with regard to deploying the next
> generation of more secure DNS technology (DNSSEC). Since when it is
> deployed, they won't be able to spoof incorrect answers for queries.

yes I'm aware of the 'tiscali' way of doing things - protest you may but
I think it will fall on deaf ears and get you on the FUP!! I'm sticking
with OpenDNS at the mo' at least I wont be lied to.

I'm still contractually obligated but as soon as I'm not I'm off to
pastures green :)

Dave