Re: [LUG] running windows programs in Linux

> Ah ha Michael!
> I'm just looking to run a virtual machine for windows and when I started I
> presumed (stupid I know) that I would be able to run the windows installed on
> my dual boot computer in a vmware (or Qemu or virtual box) setup.  But, come
> the crunch, every howto that I've found says install your VM and then install
> a copy of windows in a virtual partition.
>
> I assume that a native copy of windows is one that you can run separate to
> Linux.  So where is the info?  If you could give me a pointer I would be
> forever in your debt.  (That means I will never pay you anything. Isn't
> English strange?)
>
> George

When I say native, I mean booting windows as normal so it's running in
a real machine rather than a virtual machine.

There are plenty of guides but more importantly (to me anyway) is that
it's documented on the vmware website. It's vmware's version that I
used.

http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/rawdevices_linux.html
http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/06/24/virtualization-of-an-existing-physical-partition-of-windows-within-linux/
http://www.dr-mo.com/vmware-with-a-linux-host-and-an-existing-windows-partition/

Basically you have to create a second hardware profile then make sure
you use the native profile when booting natively and the vmware
profile when booting in vmware.  You can also make a boot floppy image
so you automatically boot windows in the vm (so you don't accidently
boot your linux that you're already using...).

It can be done with XP and 2k (that I know of) though I've only done it with 2k.