Re: [LUG] link with computer shop now beginners session

> Personally I have done a dual boot install of Ubuntu on a Windows XP PC
> with an NTFS formatted hard drive (in fact I've done a couple of them)
> and also on older PCs running Windows 98 with a FAT32 formatted drive
> and on all the occasions it has been fine.
>
> I'd say take a backup as you never know what could go wrong, other than
> that you *should* be okay.  What you could do with is something like
> Norton Ghost to do a disk image of the PC before installing Linux but I
> don't know of any easy to use free and legal alternatives that can
> reimage a drive in a few minutes to return it to it's previous state

I seem to remember at our first meet at Exeter Uni, where we did
installs, it was a requirement that anyone wanting an install signed a
disclaimer, that they understand the risks to their data, and that any
data loss is not the fault of the DCLUG or something to that effect,
i.e you have made an appropriate backup first.

can anyone shed light on this.  I was there with a stack of floppy
disks,  but did not do any actual  installs.

Paul