Re: [LUG] link with computer shop now beginners session

james kilty wrote:

> There was a question about how reliable repartitioning for a dual boot
> would be, but having done this myself twice with different distros, and
> having used the gui of Gparted after an install, without problems, I
> maybe have misplaced confidence. What do you think is best for someone
> completely new, interested in the possibility of using GNU/Linux?

Personally I have done a dual boot install of Ubuntu on a Windows XP PC
with an NTFS formatted hard drive (in fact I've done a couple of them)
and also on older PCs running Windows 98 with a FAT32 formatted drive
and on all the occasions it has been fine.

I'd say take a backup as you never know what could go wrong, other than
that you *should* be okay.  What you could do with is something like
Norton Ghost to do a disk image of the PC before installing Linux but I
don't know of any easy to use free and legal alternatives that can
reimage a drive in a few minutes to return it to it's previous state.

(The is PartImage but I don't think it supports NTFS very well and then
you have to play with boot sectors etc).

Rob