Re: [LUG] Firefox catching IE for people interested in web standards

Paul Sutton wrote:

> what about Internet,  the capital I can make all the difference,  after
> all its a name so should have a capital letter at the start,  thats if I
> understand English grammar properly.

Depending if it is "the Internet", or "an internet". Although these days
dictionaries have little excuse for not having both forms, dictionaries
available on the World Wide Web especially so.

So if my grammar is right like what my English teacher hoped he would
learn me;

The proper name of the internet protocol used on the Internet is
Internet Protocol.

The BBC seem to have problems with this in their written material. Some
cases are admittedly tricky. For example they like to describe some
companies as "internet companies", where as I'm sure Google is an
Internet company, CISCO might also be an internet company, and Google
appliances will no doubt help you index your own internet, if you used
Internet Protocol, whether or not it is connected to the Internet.

People always abuse technical language.

Quantum leap usually refers to a small change, often the smallest
possible change, to a systems state, but that never stopped the
marketing folk. Indeed a quantum leap is merely something losing its
coherence quickly, so may have more to do with marketing speak than is
at first apparent.

This message will, I'm sure, lead to a quantum leap in understanding.