Re: [LUG] Firefox catching IE for people interested in web standards

Simon Robert wrote:

>>> Surely if people start using FF, thunderbird and openoffice.org on
>>> windows, it has the effect that it demonstrates its good quality
>>> software,  after which people will think, ok I can switch to Linux and
>>> still use the above, which i am familar  with,  i can open the many
>>> letters / documents I have written adn carry on pretty much as I have,
>>> except I am using Linux and not windows.
>>>

>> backed up by the Lug as a support network to help people through this
>> transition at their own pace.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> sorry, but you're much more optimistic than I am. I imagine many people
> who use ff, tb, oo etc will know and care very little about open source
> and even less about linux. As to actually shifting to it as an OS....!?
> Simon

But it removes the barrier of common software they are familiar with as
the software is on both platforms.   so it makes any transition should
they wish to make it, (and there are people on the lug in that
position),  much easier.     Kubuntu cd's have some windows software on
to demonstrate the quality of what is available under Linux and OSS.

Ok getting someone to change operating system is not easy,  Regarding
being optimistic,  if we are pessimistic then we stand less chance of
moving forward and increasing the user base  of OSS,  we need to be
optimistic, confident but at the same time realistic, and find and use
good arguments for our cases, backed up by evidence and case studies.

paul

--
Events

Linuxbierwanderung - Torbay Mini Linux Beer Hike
28th / 29th July 2007
http://www.linuxbierwanderung.org/
Follow torbay mini LBW link.

http://www.openoffice.org