Re: [LUG] Firefox catching IE for people interested in web standards

Terry Hill wrote:

> If trends carry on, it look like FF will be the most used browser by
> somewhere around January '08 - although looking at the browser OS
> stats it doesn't look like much is happening to the Linux share of
> things.

Linux use shows over 10% a year growth amongst people learning about
websites on those figures. Still disappointing, but it won't change
radically till it comes pre-installed.

There is more to these figures than meets the eye, as Microsoft have
lost over 6% of desktop share over the period covered, but Linux and
MacOS have only gained just under 4%. Either there is a proliferation of
"other", or some browsers are not reporting enough to be recognised,
both possibilities fill me with hope.

Afraid my browser stats (I have access to log results for quite a lot of
websites) show Firefox still around 10%, not much has changed in a
couple of years in terms of browser market share. Sure we now have more
versions of IE to deal with....

As discussed before, the proportion of different browsers (and operating
systems) varies hugely between different sites. With firefox plugins
like the web developer plugin, and firebug, it is hardly surprising
there is a steady migration of visitors to a site teaching web design to
the browser providing those features.

Linear extrapolation from those figures says Microsoft will be gone in
2065, but linear extrapolation is hardly a useful guide here.