[LUG] Partially solved was Re: Members area password

Simon Waters wrote:

> I'm still intrigued as to why we can't connect to your email server -
> but I've eliminated everything I can think of at the DCGLUG server end.

Back at the day job, and thinking like an ISP techie not a system
administrator.....

The problem is that connections to "nonexistence.co.uk", which set the
flags for "explicit congestion notification" (tcp_ecn) are being dropped.

This draft IETF draft from 2001 suggests this is a "bad idea":

http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-floyd-tcp-reset-00.txt

...but they would say that as they are the guys who invented ECN ;)

Since I doubt we are the only email server you'll want email from which
sets these flags, I suggest you check firewall/firmware revisions as
appropriate.

I've switched ECN off on the box I use as an email server -- but I
haven't added it to /etc/sysctl.conf, so come the next reboot.....

 Simon