Re: [LUG] Partially solved was Re: Members area password

Simon Waters wrote:
> The problem is that connections to "nonexistence.co.uk", which set the
> flags for "explicit congestion notification" (tcp_ecn) are being dropped.
>
> This draft IETF draft from 2001 suggests this is a "bad idea":
>
> http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-floyd-tcp-reset-00.txt
>
> ...but they would say that as they are the guys who invented ECN ;)
>
> Since I doubt we are the only email server you'll want email from which
> sets these flags, I suggest you check firewall/firmware revisions as
> appropriate.
>
> I've switched ECN off on the box I use as an email server -- but I
> haven't added it to /etc/sysctl.conf, so come the next reboot.....
>
>  Simon

Ahh, thanks!  Excuse my lack of knowledge, but does that only affect
email, or other services on teh server as well?  www.nonexistence.co.uk
is being served off the same machine, if that's any help with fault-finding.

I'll forward this on to someone who knows more about postfix than I do,
who helped me set the mail server up, and I'm sure he'll be able to
point me in the right direction.  As I mentioned before, give me a web
server any day, but email's beyond me at the moment, and doesn't excite
me to learn either... :-P

Steve