Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

On Thu, 10 May 2007 08:52:07 +0100
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a general comment re this thread:
> Some problems are quite technical.
> One of the lies sold in computing is that  a GUI  will make things easier.
> In order to manage a problem you have to understand it - Windows, and now to
> an increasing extent GNOME/KDE/OO etc give users the power to 'set things up
> quickly' and then repent at leisure.
> I believe its a Cornish expression when asking for directions 'Ooh you don't
> want to start from here'. Alas that seems to be where most of us are!
> Tom te tom te tom

To add my own comment, I don't consider myself a newbie, having used
Linux exclusively for the last six years. However I certainly don't
consider myself to be an expert in any way. Many of the topics and
answers are way over my head but that is fine. I read and where I feel
it would be useful I try to learn more.

I have always found the people on this user group to be polite,
helpful, mindful of the fact that we are not all experts and above all
encouraging. Thanks to you all, guys

Neil Winchurst