Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

I think Julian Hall has a good idea.  I'm not sure though how a subjective
rating (on a scale of newbie to expert) would work.  The trouble as I see
it is that if you're really a newbie you don't know how "advanced"  your
query is, and even the moderately sophisticated can be unsure; and the
experts know that it's an incomplete ordering anyway.

I'd encourage people to try their best to indicate the general field of
their problem in the Subject: line; - OK, we all do that, but let's just
remind ourselves - so that readers who are /not/ interested e.g. in CGI or
Samba or C++ or whatever can skip over that message.  That may help the
beginners to feel at home.

RTFM (put politely) /is/ a good response sometimes but I'd suggest it
should be accompanied by an exact citation of the document you think
should be read, either by URL, or if on paper, by full publication
details.

Finally, I'm doubtful of the value of a separate beginners' discussion
list.  I'd be concerned that the more expert, who can really help, would
find it tedious and not read it.  That said, I'm sure there are plenty of
generously-minded experts who would.  But I'd back Neil W's eloquent
defence of a common forum.

regards
John

--