Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

On Friday 11 May 2007 09:45, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >  Firewalls are
> > generally at the router level rather than the individual box unless you
> > are providing services to the internet from home rather than just
> > obtaining services from the internet by using email, web browsing etc.
>
> While I understand this,  my router makes no mention of the word
> firewall. however it does mention NAT,  (Network address translation),
> which is essentially the firewall I think,   point is anyone not familar
NAT means it can have lots of different IP's sharing the one IP on the
internet side. It is NOT a firewall!
Most linux setups will allow you to configure a firewall on your network
interface.
There are several internet sites that will probe your system for
vulnerabilities
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
for one..
Tom te tom te tom