From: Viv Griffin <vh_griffin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 10 May, 2007 5:43:40 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

----- Original Message ----
From: Robin Menneer <robinmenneer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 10 May, 2007 3:51:26 PM

On 5/10/07, Viv Griffin <viv.griffin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think that what beginners need is very specific online instructions about how to do things / sort out problems. Explanation is very important, bearing in mind  how similar issues would have been handled under Windows.

Once of the first things I installed under Ubuntu was Automatix to help me install other things (yes, including proprietary drivers). The instructions on the site are really clear and easy to follow. The only thing I didn't really understand is why I needed it in the first place.

Once of the main problems is understanding the basic differences between Linux and Windows. Perhaps a book like "Ubuntu For Dummies" explains things at the right sort of level ? I don't think I need it now but, could have done with it 8 months ago. It is an interesting point that such a book has been written at all but, Amazon do have it !

I have been thinking of writing a sort of "Read Me First" document for complete beginners that perhaps we could refer new members to if it seemed appropriate. I have an IT training background so, should be able to make an acceptable job of it. It may help to "jump start" new members like Tom's mum to a level where they can understand at least some of what is being discussed and help them with their Linux experience as well.

This may make a "newbie" list unnecessary. However, to do a reasonable job of it will take me a while so, do let me know what you think ?

Viv

The last thing I want is a jump-start  in to areas that I am not currently interested in.
 I need to first develop a good relationship with the basics like using OOo and its attendant files.  Robin

Thanks Robin - although I am sure that you did not mean it to be, this response from you could be read as a little  negative. My suggestion wasn't necessarily intended to help you personally  but, those who are quite new to Linux (or very new) and want to take advantage of any help on offer. Not everybody will need it or want it - I realise that. Viv