Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

Neil Williams wrote:

>  Firewalls are
> generally at the router level rather than the individual box unless you
> are providing services to the internet from home rather than just
> obtaining services from the internet by using email, web browsing etc.

While I understand this,  my router makes no mention of the word
firewall. however it does mention NAT,  (Network address translation),
which is essentially the firewall I think,   point is anyone not familar
with this terminology will look for the word firewall after connecting
to their router, not see it and panic that they don't have a firewall.
I have a firewall between me and the internet,  just that its not called
that,  confused I was totally,

This goes back to my point of needing meetings that can go over things
like this,  I am sure my router would still work if not connected to
anything, just plugged in and connected to computer via ethernet,  so i
can then connect to http://ip of router.   someone at the meet can bring
up the settings and click each one,  explain them in simple non
technical jargon,  in the first instance,

far easier than trying to explain things over the list or over the chat
room.

So a plea to any of the 222 users out there,  do you know or have
somewhere we can meet up,  perhaps with net access, but at least a good
selection of power sockets,  and would anyone be willing to do the
above.  I can arrange meets in Paignton,  which is not ideal for
everyone,  I appreciate people are busy,

Paul