Re: [LUG] Are we too technical for our own good ?

On Thu, 10 May 2007 17:21:52 +0000 (GMT)
EION MACDONALD <eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A book/message for newbies is alway essential.

If you feel that the welcome message when joining the DCGLUG from the
website can be improved, please let me know. (It's the same as you get
in the monthly reminder - members who joined earlier will get a
personalised message but recent members get a standardised format.)

> But for an exploring nature,I would have not bothered to go further in Linux, due
> to start difficulties in especially - knowing my system was  protected by anti
> virus and firewall -this is essential to show newbies.
> compare AVG and Zone alarm in MS Windows.- users sees then knows they work -in
> Linux no such basic info available to any new start up person

Umm, that is usually because most GNU/Linux boxes only run virus
scanners to protect Windows boxes on the same network. Firewalls are
generally at the router level rather than the individual box unless you
are providing services to the internet from home rather than just
obtaining services from the internet by using email, web browsing etc.

Windows needs special protection like ZA and firewalls but just because
you have ZA and a firewall on a Windows box does not mean you are
inviolate.

It is also true that security can always be enhanced in GNU/Linux and
no computer is ever absolutely secure against every possible threat -
security is a process, not a program (or even a set of programs).

> regards
> Eion MacDonald)

Please snip (i.e. delete, remove, cut, strip or otherwise
disenfranchise) unrelated content from your replies. It makes following
the discussions FAR easier.

Also, could everyone please *wrap* long lines - it makes things a lot
easier for people browsing the DCGLUG archive.

--

Neil Williams