Re: [LUG] re Kubuntu 7.04 Beta

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:58:11 -0700 (PDT)
Viv Griffin <viv.griffin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, I wondered if anyone else had tried this yet ? I am trying it on
> a spare machine (Tosh Laptop) and the only problem so far (I have
> found) is with mounting pen drives. However, I haven't found much new
> functionality yet that I don't already have on my current version
> (Kubuntu 6.10 64bit).

I'm not surprised - Debian was in freeze for the Etch release for the
majority of the time between Ubuntu 6.1 and this beta so there would be
very few package updates from Debian in that time. Having said that,
there are 1,881 package updates about to hit Ubuntu in the next few
days [0] because the freeze is over. There are also lots more (maybe
another 2,000) that are due to be updated in Debian unstable and
migrate to Lenny in the next two weeks because Debian developers have
been holding back package updates that were not relevant to Etch. The
Ubuntu beta release isn't particularly well timed - as I see it - but
that is the price of a fixed release schedule allied to a "release when
it is ready" update stream.

> When I used Windows, I was definitely not an "early adopter" but,
> since moving over to Linux, I find I am more adventurous and like to
> try out Beta and even development versions.

The real development versions are in Debian experimental. A few make it
into Debian unstable but most do not make it into Debian testing and
Ubuntu for at least 10 days - plenty of time for any really bad issues
to show up and prevent the migration.

e.g. My latest release has not yet appeared in Feisty, I expect it to
arrive sometime this week or maybe next. (It's one of the 1,881). I've
got 4 other releases to make this week which probably won't get into
Ubuntu until close to the end of this month.

Do Ubuntu users have to update their entire distro from a CD / iso
image or can you migrate to the latest Ubuntu with 'apt-get update ;
apt-get dist-upgrade' as you can in Debian? (I don't see why this
shouldn't work in Ubuntu.)

[0]
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/serendipity/index.php?/archives/15-Etch-release!.html

--