Re: [LUG] Ubuntu, Kubuntu which to start with ?

On 4/11/07, Mark Brier (Lists) <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robin Menneer wrote:

> On 4/11/07, *Mark Brier (Lists)* <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Robin Menneer wrote:
>
>     > Yes, it's fine if you know.  I went to load Tuxpaint and it didn't
>     > mention Ubuntu in any of the loading instructions, so I gave up after
>     > trying several files.
>     >
>
>     When attempting to install any software in ubuntu / debian, it's
>     worthwhile going to "synaptic package manager" (Admin menu i think).
>
>     A quick search on "tuxpaint" would display an installable package
>     (or 5)
>
>     Installation through the repositories is always preffered to any other
>     method, so always search the repositories first using synaptic (GUI) or
>     apt-get/apt-cache (CLI)

> Previously I had looked up Tuxpaint in google and tried to load it
> there.  Going now into synpathic package manager I got Tuxpaint up but
> only in the form of a small introductory text window and I couldn't get
> it to move from there.

Robin, synaptic has three "panes". If you search for "tuxpaint", you'll
be given a list of matches in the upper-right pane. These are packages.
Right-click the package to install and choose "install package". Now you
can click the "Apply" button in synaptic's toolbar and the package will
be downloaded and installed. Quit synaptic and look for tuxpaint in your
program menu's.

--
  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
/ v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org

Have done what you said but no Apply in the toolbar.  Went back to Applications and found Tuxpaint in add/remove and got up in the small pane but failed to find how to proceed from there.  Oh for some wits.