Re: [LUG] Ubuntu, Kubuntu which to start with ?

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 12:17, Robin Menneer wrote:

> > Have I been fobbed off with Ubuntu instead of  Kubuntu ?  Why not an
> > all-in-one for thickies like me which perhaps options for the front-end
> > within it ?

No, you haven't been fobbed off - Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Edubuntu (and another
couple) all use the same basic system - the choice of Gnome or KDE or XFCE is
what selecting the various versions give you. However, you can easily add KDE
to Ubuntu or Gnome to Kubuntu - they use the same base and repositories, so
you can simply choose to install KDE to your Ubuntu and then pick which you
prefer at the login time.
Once you have installed KDE into your Ubuntu (or whatever), then you have
the "all in one" package you refer to. However, I find it really convenient
to be able to install a specific Gnome app on my system without needing to
have the full Gnome desktop - that is the great thing about the way the
Ubuntu family works*  - you can pick and mix and all dependancies are dealt
with by the apt system.

Mark

* Other apt based distros are available ;)