Re: [LUG] Ubuntu, Kubuntu which to start with ?

On 4/11/07, Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 11 April 2007 12:41, Robin Menneer wrote:

> > The grass on the other side of the hedge always looks greener.  Moving on
> > from what you say, perhaps a thickie newbie needs an all-in-one package
> > with a gnome or  KDE and any of the other half-dozen you mention, and if
> > they are  all as good as each other, then I can choose which one I happen
> > to fancy.  What has dishartened me has been to find software I wanted to
> > load, only to find it is specified for some linux system other then
> > ubuntu.  And I don't have the wits to do more than drag and drop.
> > Certainly the command line is a no-no for me.

One big advantage with the Ubuntu family (and indeed all Debian derivatives)
is the huge number of packages which are available. Looking at my system, I
can see there are 20,000+ packages available. So it is likely that your needs
may already be catered for within the repositories. If not, most software
comes in source format, which may not be something you are perhaps able to
deal with as yet (but we can explain and walk you through that if you would
like), but most software also comes with rpm and deb packages too. Rpm is
probably what you are used to, but the deb system is equally easy. Avoiding
the command line, you can simply download the package, then right click it -
choose Kubuntu package manager and select install package. Easy! And, if
there are any unmet dependancies, you are informed what they are and you can
use the Adept package manager to download and install those before attempting
the package again.
Debians .deb and the RedHat Pacakge Manager (.rpm) are the two big package
systems in use today and pretty much most software is released in those
formats. Ubuntu uses the .deb system, so there are lots of packages available
easily.

Mark