Re: [LUG] Interesting situation...

On 4/4/07, Neil Stone <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A guy at work has come to me with an interesting situation...
>
> He has a laptop on which he would like GNU/Linux installed (he wants SuSe,
> but i'm trying to avoid RPM based if I can)
>
> Problem, the CD drive is knackered... the machine can't boot from USB....
>
> Is there an easy way I can load up a disk image (or similar) on to the
> hard disk (which I have on a USB dongle right now) to plug in and install
> a distro...? (I was pondering Ubuntu, and no I don't care what people say
> about it not being "totally free")

Assume its a modern laptop with no floppy?

Do you have a USB CD rom or USB floppy drive or is that an absolute no
boot from USB not just mass storage?

Does the laptop have a bootable OS now? Are there not some linux
installers for windows that can install from here.

Take the HD out and connect it to desktop PC with a mini iDE/IDE
adapter (i have one of these , borrowing is possible, if i can find
it) and install from there.

Does it support PXE network boot and do you have a boot server (or can
you lash one up)?

Just a few ideas of the top of my head

--
Robin Cornelius